Early morning airport travel tips:
- Only take what you can easily carry yourself.
- Never sit near a trash can in the airport.
- Always wear shoes with socks.
- Have one place where you keep your phone, wallet, and boarding passes and always put them there. Ideally, strap your wallet to your purse so it’s never left behind.
- Count the outerwear pieces you are wearing/carrying at every checkpoint and in getting on/off the plane and always reach the same number (for instance: 1) Jacket, 2) scarf, 3) bag, 4) purse.
- Carry your own water bottle rather than buy bottled water.
- Be nicer than necessary or expected.
- Look for ways to help fellow travelers; for instance, if the woman walking out of the restroom in front of you has inadvertently tucked the back of her dress into her pantyhose, let her know. Hypothetically, of course.
- Sit near an electrical outlet in the gate area with a small multiple outlet surge protector and offer slots to fellow travelers if you see them hunting for a place to plug in.
- Say thank you to airport employees who started work at 3am to provide you with coffee and chewing gum.
Thus ends this edition. I’m paying it forward for Patti Digh.